Sometimes a single Teamup master calendar is not enough. If you’re managing multiple teams, working with a large organization, overseeing many projects, or using Teamup calendars for work, personal, hobby, and community purposes, you may work with several master calendars. And if that’s the case, you’ll probably want to consolidate multiple calendars into one view.
Table of Contents
- Set up an Overview Calendar
- See multiple team or master calendars in one view
- Make your unified view even better
Instead of clicking through tabs, or switching from one calendar to another on mobile, you can set up a single overview for all the master calendars you need to see.
Set up an Overview Calendar
- Create a new Teamup calendar–or designate one you’re already using–to be your “Overview Calendar.” It needs to be one that you are the calendar administrator.
- For each master calendar you want to add, follow these steps:
- Get the iCalendar feed URL for the master calendar. Click the blue menu button in the top right corner of your calendar. Select Preferences > iCalendar Feeds. A list of sub-calendars will open, with an iCalendar feed URL for each one. At the bottom of the list is an iCalendar feed URL for all sub-calendars. Copy the iCalendar feed URL you wish you use.
- Set up a new iCalendar feed in your Overview Calendar. You’ll need to open the Overview Calendar with your administrator link. Go to Settings > Calendars. Click the blue New button in the top right and select Add iCalendar feed. Name the feed, choose the color, and paste in the iCalendar feed URL.
Once you set up an iCalendar feed for each master calendar, you’ll have a central Overview Calendar: one calendar to rule them all!
Note that iCalendar feeds are read-only; you’ll see a lock icon indicating the read-only status. To make changes to the events, you’ll need to open the event in the master calendar.
See multiple master calendars in one view
You can set up a single view of multiple team calendars by using the same method as described above. For example, if you want to use the Teamup mobile app and see two separate master calendars at one time, this is a good way to do so.
Normally, you can only view one master calendar at a time on the Teamup mobile apps. You can easily switch between calendars by using the calendar dashboard. However, you may wish to compare schedules or see all events in one view. To do so, you’ll use an existing calendar as your “base calendar” and add a feed from each calendar you wish to see.
- Open the existing calendar you wish to use as a base in your web browser. (You need to access the full calendar settings, and those are only available on the browser, not on the mobile apps.)
- In another tab, open another calendar you wish to add to your unified calendar view.
- Get the iCalendar feed URL for this calendar: Click the blue menu button in the top right corner of your calendar. Select Preferences > iCalendar Feeds. A list of sub-calendars will open, with an iCalendar feed URL for each one. At the bottom of the list is an iCalendar feed URL for all sub-calendars. Copy the iCalendar feed URL you wish you use.
- Go back to your ‘base calendar’ and set up an inbound iCal feed:
- Go to Settings > Calendars. Click the blue New button in the top right and select Add iCalendar feed. Name the feed, choose the color, and paste in the iCalendar feed URL you just copied (above).
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for as many other master calendars as you wish to add to your Base Calendar. For example, if you manage five regional teams and have a separate master calendar for each one, you would add an inbound iCal feed for each team calendar to your base calendar. Alternately, you can choose on team calendar to use for your Base Calendar, and add the feeds from the other four team calendars to it.
- Add your Base Calendar to the Teamup mobile app and enjoy a unified view of all the master calendars you wish to see in one view.
Make your unified view even better
- Add your Overview Calendar or Base Calendar to your calendar dashboard. Anyone with a Teamup user account can access a calendar dashboard. (User accounts are free! Get yours by registering here.)
- Add the Overview Calendar or Base Calendar to your Teamup mobile apps, too. (Calendar dashboards can now be synced on the Android app and the iOS app.)
- Toggle each iCal feed on and off from your calendar view, as needed, in both the browser and the mobile apps.
- Arrange the iCal feeds in folders, if desired.
- You can also create a custom iCalendar feed for a particular set of sub-calendars. See instructions here.